SABA Hate Crime & Discrimination Reporting Resource List – Government
Civil Rights/Hate Crimes
- Department of Justice: aims are to enforce the law and defend the interests of the US according thereto; to ensure public safety against threats foreign and domestic; to provide federal leadership in preventing and controlling crime; to seek just punishment for those guilty of unlawful behavior; and to ensure fair and impartial administration of justice for all Americans.
o Information: https://www.justice.gov/
o Report a Crime: https://www.justice.gov/actioncenter/report-crime
- Department of Justice’s Community Relations Service (CRS): intermediary for community conflicts related to race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, and disability.
- Department of Justice’s Office of Justice Programs – Office for Civil Rights (OCR): investigates complaints by the public against government agencies for discrimination (in employment or in the delivery of services or benefits).
o Information: http://ojp.gov/about/offices/ocr.htm
o File a Complaint: http://ojp.gov/about/ocr/complaint.htm
- Department of Justice’s Office of Justice Programs – Office for Victims of Crime (OVC): supports a broad array of programs and services that focus on helping victims in the immediate aftermath of crime and continuing to support them as they rebuild their lives.
o Information: http://www.ovc.gov/
o Victim Compensation Programs: http://www.ovc.gov/map.html
o Victim Organizations: http://www.ovc.gov/publications/infores/whatyoucando_2010/WhatUCanDo_508.pdf
- FBI’s Civil Rights Program: hundreds of investigations every year and works to detect and deter further incidents through law enforcement training, public outreach, and partnerships with community groups.
o Submit a Hate Crime or Other Tip: https://tips.fbi.gov/
- Department of Homeland Security’s Office of Civil Rights and Civil Liberties (CRCL): CRCL supports the Department’s mission to secure the nation while preserving individual liberty, fairness, and equality under the law.
o Fact Sheet on Protective Security Advisor Program (PSA): in all 50 states and are security subject matter experts who provide voluntary security surveys and assessments of facilities, including houses of worship.
o File a Civil Rights Complaint: https://www.dhs.gov/how-do-i/file-civil-rights-complaint#
- Nationwide Suspicious Activity Reporting Initiative (SRI): partnership among federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial law enforcement that establishes a national capacity for gathering, documenting, processing, analyzing, and sharing SAR information in a manner that rigorously protects the privacy and civil liberties of Americans.
o Information: https://nsi.ncirc.gov/
o Public Safety Training: https://nsi.ncirc.gov/training_online.aspx
Government – Education
- U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights (OCR): mission is to ensure equal access to education and to promote educational excellence via enforcement of civil rights.
- StopBullying.gov: portal for identifying, preventing, and resolving issues of bullying for community members and educators.